Whenever I hear the word “coconut” I’m always brought back to my childhood spent in Malaysia.
My grandparents had a coconut tree in the backyard and grandma would use the endless supply of fresh young coconuts to make scrumptious traditional desserts and savory dishes incorporating the tender, fiber rich flesh.
I’d like to say that this recipe was passed down through generations in my family, but remember how I only started to reeeeeally cook about 8 months ago? Yes well, unfortunately my grandma is still in Malaysia and this recipe was found on the internet! 🙂
The reason I chose to go coconut this time instead of almond meal was because I needed the carb fix without the gluten or GI spike so, after some careful research online, this was a great alternative that lent itself well to bread and pancake recipes.
According to Livestrong.com, each 2 tbsp. of coconut flour contains 60 calories, 2 g of protein, 1.5 g of fat and 1.0 g of saturated fat as well as providing 10 g of carbohydrates. Considered a lower-carb option, the flour packs a formidable amount of dietary fiber (double that of wheat bran) as well as more protein than standard wheat flours. Super food much? Looks like it!
Just make sure you keep your fluid levels up when eating coconut flour or the dietary fiber will catch up to you.
This recipe is for banana bread, but I rolled mine into little scones and biscuits (as well as put it in a loaf pan) so it’s really up to you how you want to shape it. Thank you Chomp Chomp 🙂
Coconut Flour Banana Bread (gluten free)
Recipe adapted from Chomp Chomp.
I’ve basically taken out all the added sugars (honey, molasses, etc.) and relied on the bananas and coconut flour itself to give the subtle sweetness.
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 cup very ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 4 free range eggs
- 75 grams coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- Preheat your oven to 145C
- Line loaf pan with baking paper.
- Mash bananas and mix in butter, vanilla essence and eggs.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients: coconut flour, baking powder, sea salt and ground cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine.
- Spoon into your lined loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 mins or until golden brown. Allow to cool in pan for 15 mins.
- Serve with crushed berries with a teaspoon of organic cacao powder.
- Nom’ing Wish List (skinnyfatsky.wordpress.com)
- Banana Bread made with Coconut & Almond Flour (invigor8u.wordpress.com)
- Coconut Flour Banana Bread Gluten Free (chompchomp.com.au)
- Coconut Flour (lsmcreation.com)