How many times have we all written off breakfast because we opted for those extra few minutes in bed hitting the snooze button?
Well, did you know that your momma was in fact right about breakfast-
Eating a nutritious meal at the beginning of the day is associated with many health benefits, including weight control and improved performance.
Let me emphasize the word “healthy” here.
Unless you are awesome and you monitor calories/macros (hello IIFYM’sters), you’re probably better off choosing nutrient dense, protein rich foods to start the day with. Not only will you have enough energy to bound into work, but you’ll also be too full to reach for empty caloric devil cookies later in your mid-morning coffee break.
“Protein blunts your hunger the most, and is the most satiating,” Purdue University researcher Wayne Campbell, PhD, tells WebMD. Our bodies don’t produce protein, so we need to consume protein each day to restore cells, produce hormones, enzymes and generally keep our bodies running like a well-oiled car.”
To keep it simple:
- Choose foods that deliver essential minerals, vitamins and dietary fibre
- Fruits are amazing little packages of Multi-vi’s, however try to eat whole fruit instead of juices to maximize precious dietary fibre and stop you from OD’ing on the sugar content
- Protein, protein, protein! Try to eat a dose of protein with each meal. Eggs any which way contain some of the highest-quality protein. Add smoked salmon/trout for an extra protein dose.
- Nuts are a fantastic way to get essential fats and oils. Mix some trial mix with Chobani Greek plain yoghurt with a dash of cinnamon to boost your calcium and healthy gut bacteria.
- Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables are fantastic- eat raw, steamed, in a smoothie, just make sure you wash carefully first and try to buy organic (really to avoid pesticides) where possible.
- What about baked beans? Fantastic for your tummy and bum- a better option than bread or bagels for your go-to carbohydrate
Stuck on ideas?
Here’s some alternatives for breakie you can whip up in a flash:
Omelette with chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, parmesan cheese & rocket
Faster: Almond Meal Pankcakes
Less than 5 minutes and you can munch on scruptious pancakes full of protein, good fats and a whole lot of other goodies! The classic base recipe is here.
Faster: Protein Shake on the Go!
- My Weight Loss Journey: From Nothing to New Beginnings (gmene.wordpress.com)
- Why Women Should Do Weights (skinnyfatsky.wordpress.com)
- Leg day everyday (skinnyfatsky.wordpress.com)
- If it fits your macros (iifym.com)